Thursday, April 7, 2016

Destin - 2016

We haven't been anywhere since last September when we visited my sister and husband in Fort Collins, Colorado.  We need to get out of the rut and head to someplace new.

This time it has been difficult to make the decision where to go.  I read about Door County, Wisconsin, in a travel book. James wanted to go to Mackinac Island.  I'd always wanted to go to Key West.  This time we had to search to come up with a location.  I was inspired by a photo book that my daughter and husband have of the Emerald Coast of Florida.  This is close to where my daughter's mother-in-law lives. Consequently, we are heading south to the panhandle of Florida.  The snowbirds are gone and spring break is over.  I think it should be a good time to visit.  Still not hot but also not too cool. Of course, this is right on the Gulf of Mexico so I don't think they have extreme changes of weather like we do in Kansas.  I have been watching the weather closely to decide what items I should pack. One funny thing I noticed was they have wind advisories when the wind is under 20 mph.  As I write this, this area of Florida is in a wind advisory.  The wind is currently 15 mph.  Good grief, we don't even have wind advisories in Kansas for that mild of wind.  We have been have winds of 25 to 35 mph frequently the past several weeks.  I don't think 15 mph winds are going to bother us very much.  Whatever the weather, we look forward to sitting on the balcony of the condo we are renting for the few days we will be there.  We are on the 11th floor.  It should be a great view of the gulf.

We are going to do some sightseeing on the way south.  Plan to stop at the Clinton Library and Museum in Little Rock.  We are also going by Memphis to make a stop at Graceland.

We look forward to our travels and hope you will follow along.


No comments:

Post a Comment