Monday, September 28, 2015

Fort Collins - 2015 - Final Thoughts

I am a bit slow finishing this.  After all, we have been back in Lawrence over a week.  Thank goodness I made some notes on the drive home.  These are written down as things popped into my mind.  Consequently, sometimes the events won't be in the order they occurred.  Final thoughts are for myself in case we ever want to retrace our path on one of our trips.

We basically lucked out with the weather this trip.  We did have sprinkles and wind on the way to Steamboat.  We just bundled up and kept going.  We traveled over Cameron and Rabbit Ears Passes to and from Steamboat Springs on Tuesday and Wednesday.  On Friday, my sister told me that they saw snow on Cameron Pass on the news.  Wow!  What a difference a few days can make.  I'm glad we had no snow this trip.  I am not yet ready for winter.  Probably won't ever be but in Kansas that season will definitely arrive.

As we were traveling over the mountains to Steamboat, we began to have issues with both cell and data service on our phones.  Not a biggie really but I am surprised at how much I use my phone for directions, weather, history—all things associated with our trip.  Things got worse once we hit Steamboat.  The internet was down.  Come to find out it was a major problem in that part of Colorado.  I'm not sure what went out but fortunately, the issue was resolved by the time we wanted to watch a movie and settle in for the night.  Our B&B uses Apple TV as one way to access movies for their guests.  They had a nice cozy home theatre.

I have already talked about the Victorian Luxury Bed and Breakfast but did want to mention a few more things.  As I said in an earlier post, we were able to order what we wanted off a menu for our breakfast.  We were also able to chose what time we wanted to arrive for breakfast between 7 and 9:30, if I recall correctly.  When we arrived, we were served a few goodies we had chosen and then Jane, our hostess, prepared the hot foods.  I haven't been to very many bed and breakfasts in the past few years, but it was nice to be able to decide what we wanted for breakfast and when  we wanted to eat.  Then to have our food freshly cooked was even more wonderful.  It was a great place.  I would definitely visit again. Below is a link to their web site.


I did post some photos of the ski jumps in Steamboat.  This is a training center and the jumps and landing areas were made of plastic.  These can be used in the warmer temperatures so jumpers can practice all year long.  I wish there would have been some jumpers when we were there.

Another interesting tidbit is that when we reached an area just below Fish Creek Falls, a man around our age, pointed out his mother-in-law to us.  She was 96 years old.  Unbelievable.  She was very spry although she did use a cane.  I asked if she walked on a regular basis.  Naturally, she did.  May I be this active when I am 96.

I need to mention the root beer we had a Gella's in Hays was homemade.  I now wish we had purchased some to bring home.  I must admit we don't have much extra space in our vehicle, though.

Last item is not of great importance but the Flint HIlls were greener coming home than on our way to Colorado.  We definitely had some rain while we were gone.

A couple more snapshots of the golden aspens.  Enjoy.  Hope to see you on our next trip.












No comments:

Post a Comment