Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Antioch, Illinois/Door County, Wisconsin--Final Thoughts

I made some notes on the trip home.  I am basically posting these for myself but thought I would share.  Things I want to remember if I ever return to Door County.

To our surprise, Illinois and Wisconsin 4-lane roads including interstates had speed limits of only 65 mph.  The 2-lane roads could be anywhere from 40 to 55 mph.

In Wisconsin, there are many county roads which are lettered, i.e. CR Q.  These are paved and a nice way to travel the backroads.

We discovered you cannot drive the shorelines of the lakes.  Houses are next to the lakes.  Not thinking, we thought it would be similar to driving highway 1 in California where we actually followed the shoreline.  That has been many, many years ago so maybe that has changed as well.

In Iowa the 4-lanes are 65 mph but their interstates are 70 mph.

Our car is new and I have been learning how to use the navigation system.  We have had some issues but basically human error.  I am hoping that eventually I will remember to double check all the route options before starting to our destination.

The navigation system has some limits.  There are many times we enter unknown territory. Strange as our portable Garmin knows probably 90 percent of the roads we travel on to include county roads.  Also the 370Z navigation system only knows the speed limits on some major US highways.  The Garmin even knows that for many streets inside of Lawrence.  I certainly think that is something that Nissan needs to improve on.  That being side, the 370Z navigation system has many features that are better.  Just wish I could pick and choose the ones I want.

We started to see quilt blocks on barns.  I loved them.  I had read that people were putting these on their barns in some parts of the country.  They are fun to watch for and really liven up the scenery.  I have included a snapshot.  Tiny but took as we were driving down the road.


Oh, yes.  We have AT&T cell phones.  The service in Wisconsin was absolutely miserable. Door County was maybe the worst area.  Occasionally, a text message would come through the data service but I would bet that 80 percent of the time we would not have been able to make or receive a phone call.  Thank goodness the hotel we stayed in had a reliable wifi network.   

James was surprised at the very large number of classic, antique, and muscle cars we saw while in Door County.  There was going to be a car show in Egg Harbor but not until the weekend after we left.  We have no clue why all those beautiful cars were in the area.  

We discovered at our first stop on the way to Antioch that James left his keys in the house.  The 370Z has a keyless ignition and my key was in the car when he started it.  That made for an interesting trip as I was in charge of our only key.  Made me a bit nervous.

While traveling on I-80 on the trip home, we watched a plane spraying pesticide or fertilizer on the field right next to the highway.  Both of us thought it was very interesting.  That is until about a half mile down the road we discovered the car had been covered with the spray.  Fortunately, it washed right off.

Neither of us had a chigger or mosquito bite while we were gone.   I had read that the winters were told cold for chiggers but was quite surprised about the mosquitoes.  I think maybe we were just lucky with those.

Can't end without one last comment on the luggage.  We were surprised at how well they packed in the hatch area.  They were very spacious and allowed us to pack a few souvenirs on the way home.  Because of the awkward opening of the trapezoid pieces, they were difficult to pack.  I don't believe we would ever take these on a plane with us but sure were perfect in the hatch of the 370Z.


Our next trip will be in October.  Hope to see you then.



2 comments: