Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Hoover Presidential Museum then Galena, Illinois - August, 2017, Travel Day

James and I are off on a short road trip.  It was time to get away and relax for a few days.  We decided to visit the Herbert Hoover Museum in West Branch, Iowa, and then go on to our destination, Galena, Illinois.

We left Lawrence yesterday around 11:30 a.m.  We took the time to walk the dog and get him settled into the "dog hotel" before leaving town.  I had mapped a route to avoid interstate highways. We wanted to reach the Hampton Inn in Iowa City around 5.  Well, sort of goofed that up but we did arrive around 5:45.  I guess that wasn't too bad.  Although the speed limit was only 65, it was an extremely relaxing drive.  4 lanes the entire distance although it was not a limited access.

We saw quite a few barns with barn quilt squares as we came north on highway 24.  I just think those decorate a barn so nicely.  I love seeing them.

The hotel was within walking distance of several restaurants.  We chose Pancheros Mexican Grill.  I would say it was similar to Chipotles.  The food was so-so but convenient.  We brought it back to our room for a relaxing meal.

Today we will head to West Branch before heading to Galena.

A short side note.  I watched the weather forecast for this trip very, very closely.  I made the reservations last week after everything looked very positive for us.  Naturally, the next day the forecast went downhill.  During the last 24 hours, though, it has become to look better.  We will see what happens.  I read the Hazardous Weather Outlook at weather.gov this morning.  It said we had less chance of severe storms if it was cloudy Wednesday morning.  Here's hoping for a cloudy Wednesday morning.

On to West Branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment