Monday, February 20, 2017

American Queen New Orleans - February, 2017 - Travel Day

Well, today was exciting and partly a bust.  The drive to the airport went just fine.  Checking in went just fine.  Then security.  Not exactly a nightmare but not good either.  I had to remove my shoes.  I was patted down and my carry on was searched.  Found out why.  We had packed a cork screw which included a small knife.  Our bad.  We should have known better.  Nifty gismo which, of course, was confiscated.

Finally boarded the plane.  Flight was uneventful.  We went to locate our hotel shuttle.  Waited 40 minutes.  Basically it took two hours to reach the hotel from the time we left the plane.  Mardi Gras is in progress.  Traffic was a nightmare.  I was so impressed with our shuttle driver and the way he squeezed thru the traffic.  We were lucky that he parked in front of our hotel.  Many had to walk a few blocks to their hotels.  This place is a busy, busy place.  We did see some floats on our way to the hotel.  At least the drive was interesting.  I didn't get any snapshots as we were on the wrong side of the bus.

The day ended well, though.  We asked the bell hops for a good place to eat.  They recommended Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant.  We passed a float that threw us some beads.  Such fun.  Supper was good.  I had shrimp and mango tacos.  The best shrimp tacos I have ever eaten.  We ordered dessert to bring back to the hotel with us.  I chose Chocolate Budino Cake.  So I had a low cal entree and a dessert with probably 10,000 calories.  May I say the dessert was also very good.

On the 30 second walk back to the hotel, there were more floats.  This is just one crazy town during Mardi Gras.


Shrimp and Mango Tacos

James had Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos


Chocolate Budino Cake


Floats lined up for the parade.  I honestly don't know if the parade is over or if they are waiting to get started.






No comments:

Post a Comment