Saturday, May 27, 2017

Frisco, 2017 - Travel Day

Once again we are off on our bi-annual trip to Frisco, Colorado.  This year, we are lucky enough that all 11 members of our family are making the trip.  It has been awhile since that has happened. At the same time, we will miss my sister and her husband who are on their annual trip to Texas to celebrate children's birthdays.  They are stopping in Iola on the way home to celebrate my sister's 55th high school reunion and to add flowers to the graves of our mom, dad, and brother. I hope they enjoy their trip but we will miss them.

Today has been a travel day.  We walked Boz before we left town and then checked him into Home Sweet Home Dog Resort.  I call it the dog hotel.  We headed out of town about 1.  Took 4 hours and 37 minutes to reach the Hampton Inn in Colby, Kansas.  It was a most unusual driving experience. James started the drive.  We did not stop until the rest area west of Salina.  I then took over the driving.  Set the cruise control at 80 mph.  I drove the rest of the way to Colby.  Around 2 1/2 hours.  I had to brake only once.  Sped up a time or two to pass a vehicle.  Other than that, I just sat behind the wheel and steered.  This kind of driving experience will never happen again.  Of course, it is a 4 lane the entire way.  It is a holiday weekend so there was a lot of traffic.  Just moved smoothly.  I doubt if our drive into Frisco tomorrow is quite as smooth.

We had a little excitement during the night.  A terrific thunderstorm roared thru northwest Kansas and northeast Colorado.  Winds, thunder, lightning, and most awful, hail.  We were up way past our bedtime.  James was stressing out about the car.  He hasn't been outside to check this morning but it looks okay from our window.  Hail was big but soft.  I think we were extremely lucky.

Off to Frisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment